Friday, February 18, 2011

Beginnings - The Making of a Jasper

Last month I blogged about my love of Morrisonite.  I'm a bit obsessed over it actually.  Two nights ago, I had my first dream that involved polymer. So, I figure it's time to attempt to work it out.  I can see it's going to take some time.  For fun, you can see some actual stones that I had blogged about here.  And now, here's my humble beginnings.  But as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day.


One of my favorite things about Morrisonite, is the cloudlike forms that appear in the stone. 

First, what I was trying to accomplish was to create some of those cloudlike patterns.  Ironically, the pattern on the top left was my first attempt.  My goal in the end is to combine colors and create patterns that makes sense.  Patterns that feel "natural". In the other photos, I was experimenting with a couple other colors you'd find in Morrisonite, as well as some striations and fissures. Towards the end of the day, I discovered what was working and what was not. . . what I needed to explore and what I needed to let go.   One step closer.  Sigh.