Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Absence Makes the Heart Grow Fonder

I've got about 40 minutes or so before I'm off to a doctor's appt. . . my first post-op appt.  Which brings me to where I've been. . . for probably 20 years or so I've had a hip problem that went undiagnosed. In fact, labral tears were never diagnosed until three years ago. Long story short, it created a messy problem with my hip.  So much so that I had to have a hip replacement.  I had a scheduled surgery for late in May and am three weeks into recovery.  I spent two days in the hospital and then was released.  They teach you to go upstairs in the hospital, and as long as you can maneuver that, you're good to go.  I do have stairs in my house, so climbing the stairs as I had done in the past looked a little different for a while.  I tend to stay to the right side of the stairs so anyone coming up the stairs is in the left "passing lane".  My faithful dog Luca is the only one who wants to walk behind me.  In fact, he's always by my side.  He's the epitome of man's best friend.

I was able to get rid of the crutches at two weeks (and began driving again) and am now using a cane.  On good days, I try to walk without it.  I started outpatient physical therapy this week.  I'm looking forward to seeing my doctor today as I've got a couple pages of questions for him. . . fortunately, I did listen to my p.t. who told me to write down questions as they came up.

So, what does one do when recovering?  For me, for some reason I couldn't get into the book "Defending Jacob" as I had planned.  I've always seemed to need to get up and move too much.  Which really doesn't explain why I managed to watch way too much t.v.!  But as far as the studio goes, I really haven't spent much time there at all.  For the first 1 1/2 weeks or so, I had no desire to even turn on my computer.  Go figure.  Getting into the studio just feels like too big of a task at the moment.  So things may be quiet for a while - but I will definitely get back to at least my Monday posts.  Until then . . .

6 comments:

Norma's Clay said...

I wish you a fast and good recovery. Sometimes is good to have such 'quiet' time and rediscover yourself.

Roberta said...

Oh my! I am glad you are recovering nicely. We are a funny bunch, we bloggers. Sometimes we announce things that are going on in our lives and sometimes not so much. That is a pretty big one but I totally understand not talking about it. Surgery is scary. I am so glad it is over for you. You must be so relieved!

Jay said...

Hi Janice,
You were/are missed. Speedy recovery. Hurry back. No cartwheels.

Anonymous said...

I spent 21 days solid in the hosptial a year ago - I had ZERO want to get into anything other than looking at vintage Chanel jewelry on my iPod. The days do get better, and you HAVE been missed!

Janice said...

Thanks for your well wishes - I'm glad it's behind me. And Jay, I can guarantee there will be no cartwheels for a quite a while!

Janice said...

Wow - 21 days? I can't even imagine that. But you got to do what you got to do and just get through it. Like do we have a choice?